Northgate Retail Rezoning for 250 Acres in Sunbury Approved
On Wednesday, April 6th, the Sunbury Village Council unanimously approved rezoning for 250 acres as part of the 1000 acre retail, residential, office mixed use development Northgate Centre from agricultural to commercial.
The rezoning decision was passed as an emergency. Many residents expressed concern at the measure passing as an emergency, but village attorney, David Brehm said that removing the emergency clause was not an option.
Reason being that Ohio DOT had no plans for modifying or improving the existing interchange at I-71 and US Route 36 / 37, leaving a new interchange just south of the existing interchange as the only option. Ohio DOT had long planned an additional interchange somewhere from Big Walnut Road up to just south of the Route 36 interchange.
The village attorney said passing the ordinance as an emergency measure would help facilitate the process of approving the new interchange and without the development there wouldn’t be the funding to build the interchange and without the interchange there wouldn’t be the development.
The site now rezoned will become part of the giant 1,000 acre Northgate Centre mixed use development to include triple net retail, net lease restaurants, car dealerships, office, warehouse and and athletic fields and faculty.
The Northgate web site states that the development will encompass.
- 1,036 acres of a mixed use commercial site.
- 1,500,000 to 3,000,000 sq ft of retail and office use. 300 acres of warehouse/distribution development providing up to 10 million sq ft of warehouse distribution space.
- 6-8 hotels with approximately 600-1000 rooms.
- Total payroll of retail, office, and hotel use: $76 million.
- Sales tax revenue of over $58 million per year.
- Destination Auto Mall with 4 to 6 new car dealerships.
- 60 acres outlet/lifestyle center, 400,000 sq ft, with over 5 million visitors per year, creating an excess of $250 million in Sales yearly.
- COTA and DATA Drop off sites to provide bus transportation within Franklin and Delaware County.
Preliminary lease up will happen far ahead of anything ready for occupancy so if you’re interested in any of this Delaware County Ohio / Sunbury NNN, triple net retail space, feel free to contact me, Scott Harris Realtor at 614-905-6614